Sunday, October 12, 2008

let us run with endurance...

...the race that is set out for us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-3, english standard version.

For the first (or maybe it's sort of the second) time in my life, I have started running. A little. Just a couple of miles really, and I usually have to stop and walk a little bit. I have tried this before and I generally drop out after 4 runs. I registered for a 5K on Thanksgiving morning thinking that it would help motivate me to keep training, even if I feel lame and out-of-shape for needing to "train" for a 3.1 mile turkey-trot fun-run. When I give myself a pep-talk to keep up the routine, I think of these verses. I'm also trying to consider the necessity of endurance in some other (non-running) races marked out for me right now. I'm trying to run with endurance the races for a christ-like attitude, marital sacrifice, discipline in my little home, encouraging a friend who is running a life-race far more treacherous than I can fathom, and seeking good friendships in a new place.

The other day I took my usual path outside our apartment and met a new running friend. I hope to see him again soon. It's so much more fun to run with a dog. (I have pictures and a video of the dog but I can't get them to load onto my new computer. I will try again soon.)

This is the basic gist of my current running playlist:
Man! I feel like a woman
Fergilicious
SexyBack
All I Want For Christmas Is You
Truly Madly Deeply
Celine Dion power ballads
Caedmon's Call
I can't lie - there is also some Backstreet Boys, Hanson and Aaron Carter.

3 comments:

Beth said...

You're amazing. I love that you admitted to having Hanson on your playlist :) I think it would be wicked sweet if you got a dog. Mom might hate you though.

Kaela said...

Rihanna-shut up and drive
Yeah! Usher
Hips don't lie-Shakira
...are all really good running songs too. Also Stronger-Kanye West, and Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado.
I like running to rap music because it makes me feel like a b.a. Although a little Backstreet boys (and even some Britney) are on my playlist.
If I ever get my butt in gear and start running again I'll have to listen to All I want for Christmas is you, because I am a little confused by that one.

I love you. And I really miss you. Are you going to be in St. Joe in December at all?

Britt said...

Hey!! So i've been kind of out of the loop with you but i wanted to say that i'm really proud of you for running. It takes a lot of effort and motivation to know that you are "going for a run" at some point in the day. I think you should get a dog. Dogs are the best.