Tuesday, February 17, 2009

hard times

Today at the bank someone made a comment about how they're keeping large bills in a cash box at home because of how the economy is going. I thought of two things - 1 being that this is the stupidest possible thing to do right now (instead, think debt repayment and real estate investing!), and 2 - why are you telling me this? I could come rob you! Instead of giving her an economic lecture, I nodded and asked if she wanted an account balance on her receipt. Then she said "Well, it's not like YOU'VE faced any hard times so you're probably too optimistic or naive to know what I'm talking about." I've never been on the streets or wondered where my next meal would come from, so I can't really say that I've experienced horrible times in my own life, but all I could think of was how that lady had no clue what my life has been like until now and it was probably the most insensitive thing anyone could ever say. How would she have any idea about whether my life was hard or easy or what I have experienced? We never know what anyone has gone through, especially in that sort of context.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm sorry your job sucks most of the time :( I think you're really wonderful. Sometimes I feel like school is dumb and all the people here are dumb, too - so all I can figure is that God has me here for some reason I have yet to discover...so I just have to keep pressing on and making the most of it :/

Hahe "WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS? I COULD COME ROB YOU!" I laughed at this :)

It's so true that people judge so easily and make assumptions about people - and most of the time they're wrong. I miss you a whole heap and I love you even more than I miss you (so you know it's a lot!!)

I'm coming to see you in 22 days!!!